After the two year hiatus associated with the Covid-19 pandemic BTRDA Ltd are very pleased to confirm that they will organise and promote the Motorsport UK 2022 English Rally Championship in association with Seacon UK.
Following on from the issue of regulations for the 2022 MRF Tyres BTRDA Rally Series, (available at www.btrdarally.co.uk/competitors) those for the Motorsport UK 2022 English Rally Championship, in association with Seacon UK, are now available in the competitor section of this website. Championship Permit No 2022/008 has been issued by Motorsport UK.
It’s all part of the 2022 BTRDA Rally Series registration and BTRDA membership package and, thus, all BTRDA Rally Series contenders are automatically eligible for the English Rally Championship (and vice versa) with no extra fees required.
Maintaining the format of previous years, the English Rally Championship is class-based, such that the eventual winner may emerge from any one of the seven competition classes (see below) and as outlined in the regulations. In this way, it isn’t necessarily the most powerful car that will triumph – a fact amply illustrated by Steve Black who claimed the 2019 title in his 1400cc Suzuki Swift!
English Rally Champions in previous years include: – 2018 Ian Joel (Escort Cosworth), 2017 Stephen Petch (Fiesta WRC) 2016 Sam Bilham (Fiesta R2), 2015 Rhys Yates (Fiesta R2), 2014 Matthew Robinson (Escort Mk2), 2013 Julian Wilkes (1400cc Vauxhall Nova).
Covid restrictions permitting, a six-round calendar of selected popular forest stage rallies is planned from which competitors will count their five best scores.
- Malcolm Wilson Rally 12th March Cockermouth / Lake District
- Kielder Forest Rally 18th June Hexham / Kielder Forest
- Woodpecker Stages 3rd September Ludlow / Shropshire
- Trackrod Forest Rally 24th September Filey / North Yorkshire
- Wyedean Stages Rally 15th October Mitcheldean / Forest of Dean
- Grizedale Stages Rally 2nd / 3rd December Ambleside / Lake District
The Championship is open to all vehicles that comply with the 2022 Motorsport UK Safety and Technical Regulations for Special Stage Rallies.
The Competition Classes:
- Class E7 Current and former World Rally cars with a sequential gearbox, current and former R5 specification cars, FIA Rally2 and S2000 cars and any derivatives therefrom
- Class E6 Over 2000cc 4WD cars not eligible for class E7
- Class E5 Over 2000cc 2WD cars including all FIA R3T cars
- Class E4 Cars over 1600cc up to 2000cc, plus Historic category 3 cars with multi cam engines over 1600cc, category 4a cars over 1600cc and 4b cars up to 1600cc and FIA Rally4 specification cars.
- Class E3 Cars over 1400cc up to 1600cc plus current & former FIA Group N3 cars and FIA R2 cars.
- Class E2 Cars up to 1400cc not eligible for Class E1, plus Historic category 1 & 2, category 3 with single cam engines and category 4a up to 1600cc
- Class E1 All BTRDA Rally First cars.
BTRDA Rally Series registration and BTRDA membership are free to new members under 25 years of age on the 1st January 2022, for their first year of registration.
Covid restrictions dictate that on some events the traditional pre-event Signing-On sessions will not take place and, hence, the opportunity to actually register for the BTRDA Series on events may be severely compromised. Nevertheless, we want you to join in some ‘Serious Fun’ and, hence, we would ask all prospective contenders to use the online registration system prior to their first appearance of the season. Alternatively, there is a Membership / Registration form which can be downloaded.