Following hot on the heels of the issue of the regulations for the 2021 MRF Tyres BTRDA Rally Series, (available at www.btrdarally.co.uk/competitors) those for the Motorsport UK 2021 English Rally Championship, in association with Seacon UK, are now available in the competitor section of this website.
It’s all part of the 2021 BTRDA Rally Series registration and BTRDA membership package and, thus, all BTRDA Rally Series contenders are automatically eligible for the English Rally Championship (and vice versa) with no extra fees required.
Maintaining the format of previous years, the English Rally Championship is class-based, such that the eventual winner may emerge from any one of the seven competition classes (see below) and as outlined in the regulations. In this way, it isn’t necessarily the most powerful car that will triumph – a fact amply illustrated by Steve Black who claimed the 2019 title in his 1400cc Suzuki Swift!… English Rally Champions in previous years include: – 2018 Ian Joel (Escort Cosworth), 2017 Stephen Petch (Fiesta WRC) 2016 Sam Bilham (Fiesta R2), 2015 Rhys Yates (Fiesta R2), 2014 Matthew Robinson (Escort Mk2), 2013 Julian Wilkes (1400cc Vauxhall Nova).
Covid restrictions permitting, a six-round calendar of selected forest stage rallies is planned from which competitors will count their five best scores.
- Kielder Forest Rally 19th June Hexham / Kielder Forest
- Nicky Grist Stages 10th July Builth Wells / Mid Wales
- Woodpecker Stages 4th September Ludlow / Shropshire
- Trackrod Forest Rally 25th September Filey / North Yorkshire
- Wyedean Stages Rally 16th October Mitcheldean / Forest of Dean
- Grizedale Stages Rally 3rd/4th December Ambleside / Lake District
The Competition Classes:
- Class E7 All WRC with a sequential gearbox, RRC, R5, S2000 and FIA Rally2 specification cars & all derivatives
- Class E6 Over 2000cc 4WD cars not eligible for class E7
- Class E5 Over 2000cc 2WD cars including all FIA R3T cars
- Class E4 Over 1600cc up to 2000cc plus Historic category 3 cars with multi cam engines over 1600cc, category 4a cars over 1600cc and 4b cars up to 1600cc and FIA Rally4 specification cars.
- Class E3 Cars over 1400cc up to 1600cc plus current & former FIA Group N3 cars and all FIA R2 cars.
- Class E2 Cars up to 1400cc not eligible for Class E1, plus Historic category 1 & 2, category 3 with single cam engines and category 4a up to 1600cc
- Class E1 All BTRDA Rally First cars.
As previously announced, all competitors who were registered for the BTRDA Rally Series (which includes the Motorsport UK English Rally Championship and the MRF Mixed Surface Challenge) in 2020 can register for the same championship in 2021 at zero cost, leaving you with just the cost of BTRDA club membership which has been held at £30.00 per person for a further year. (Note: For the on-line system to be able to detect you were registered for the BTRDA Forest Rally Series in 2020 you must use the same Username that you did in 2020 and you must rejoin BTRDA rather than joining as a new member).
BTRDA Rally Series registration and BTRDA membership are free to new members under 25 years of age on the 1st January 2021, for their first year of registration.
Covid restrictions dictate that the traditional pre-event Signing-On sessions will not take place and, hence, the opportunity to actually register for the BTRDA Series on events will be severely compromised. Nevertheless, we want you to join in some ‘Serious Fun’ and, hence, we would ask all prospective contenders to use the online registration system prior to their first appearance of the season. Alternatively there is a Membership / Registration form which can be downloaded.
The featured image is Steve Black (1400 Suzuki Swift) the 2019 English Rally Champion.