The 2018 MAXXIS MSA English Rally Championship makes a rather belated start this year due to the unfortunate cancellation of the Malcolm Wilson Rally due to the extreme weather back in March. Seriously, the ‘Beast from the East’ has necessitated a re-jig of the calendar and we’re now looking at a five-round championship, with everyone’s four best scores to count.
Starting in Carlisle for the ATL Carlisle Stages, the action in an all-gravel format then moves to the Quinton Motor Club promoted Nicky Grist Stages six weeks later. After a similar gap, the Woodpecker Stages will welcome contenders to Ludlow Racecourse for some of the famous Marches special stages. The North York Moors play host to the penultimate round, the Trackrod Forest Rally, at the end of September before the finale, a welcome return to the Wyedean Stages, in the picturesque Forest of Dean on 10th November.
Revised 2018 Calendar
• ATL Carlisle Stages Rally 9th June Kielder Forest West
• Nicky Grist Stages 14th July Mid Wales Forests
• Woodpecker Stages 1st September Shropshire and the Welsh Borders
• Trackrod Forest Rally 29th September North Yorkshire
• Wyedean Stages Rally 10th November Forest of Dean
So, this could be a second bite at the cherry so to speak, especially for those that have had a ‘difficult start to the JORDAN Road Surfacing BTRDA Rally Series.
The English Rally Championship is split into 8 classes with the scoring system reflecting achievement against other competitors in the same class.
• Class 1 BTRDA Rally First cars up to and including 1400cc and FIA R1A and N1
• Class 2 All cars up to 1400cc not eligible for class 1 and RF1.6 cars
• Class 3 Over 1400cc and up to and including 1600cc, including all FIA R2B cars
• Class 4 Over 1600cc and up and including to 2000cc
• Class 5 Over 2000cc 2 Wheel Drive
• Class 6 Current and former FIA Group N / NR4 cars over 2000cc
• Class 7 Over 2000cc 4 Wheel Drive
• Class 8 All WRC, RRC, R5 and S2000 cars and all derivatives
NB: The MAXXIS MSA English Rally Championship registration is all part of the 2018 BTRDA Rally Series and BTRDA membership package.
The photo is Chris Powell / Jim Lewis (1400 Talbot Sunbeam) on the recent Plains Rally. Courtesy of Malcolm Almond. They are regular class leaders and so may be suited to the class based MAXXIS MSA Engish Rally Championship.